About Ancient Minds Tutoring
Hi my name is Andrew Eubanks. I consider myself a well-rounded individual who works to combine my passion for education and love for the classics with a diverse range of interests. With over a decade of experience teaching Latin, classical studies, and philosophy, I am a highly qualified and dedicated educator.
I have worked with various age groups and taught in private schools in San Antonio and Austin. For several years I also lectured students at the college level. I graduated Hendrix College with a degree in History and Religion and obtained my Masters of Divinity from Southern Methodist University.
When I am not in the classroom or working with students, you can find me staying active through my love of working out, running, and hiking. I also enjoy unwinding with live music, improv comedy, traveling, sports and cooking.
I love sharing my passion for Latin, classical studies, and philosophy with my students. Nothing gives me greater joy than seeing my students overcome obstacles and gain confidence in their abilities! If you're looking for an experienced and dynamic tutor who brings a wealth of knowledge and enthusiasm to his work, look no further!
I am currently offering personalized tutoring services for individuals and groups, helping students of all ages achieve their academic goals. Additionally, I provide summer sessions to ensure that students are prepared for the upcoming school year. Read more about my services below.
I am available to work with students virtually on a one to one basis or in a group. You can expect my Latin and classical studies tutoring to provide a personalized educational experience designed to help students improve their understanding and mastery of the Latin language and the classical world.
The tutoring sessions are 50 minutes in length and are tailored to the needs and learning style of the student, and can cover a wide range of topics, including Latin grammar and syntax, reading and translating Latin texts, and exploring the rich cultural and historical context of the classical world. As I am well versed in different Latin texts, I will be able to assist students who need help reinforcing skills and concepts learned in the classroom or those who are looking to begin the study of Latin outside of a school setting.
Are you looking for something unique for your child to do this summer? Why not learn about Latin and the ancient Romans? The virtual summer sessions will be an exciting educational program designed for beginner students who have an interest in the Latin language and the classical world. These virtual summer sessions will be offered in one week increments for 75 minutes a day throughout the summer. Each session will have no more than 8 students per class, and will be separated by age.
During the summer camp, students will have the opportunity to explore the rich history and culture of the ancient world through a variety of activities and projects. These may include reading and translating Latin texts, learning about the mythology and literature of the classical world, and participating in hands-on projects such as creating Roman mythology comic book, making Roman mosaics, trying ancient Roman cuisine, trying on Roman clothes and creating Roman landmarks with Legos.
I am available to tutor in virtual, one-to-one or group sessions. The tutoring sessions are 50 minutes a session. During these sessions students will embark on an exciting journey to develop and enhance their writing skills, empowering them to become confident, articulate, and expressive communicators. Through engaging lessons, interactive activities, and meaningful writing exercises, students will explore various forms of composition, including narrative, expository, persuasive, and descriptive writing.
Students will learn and apply fundamental writing techniques, such as brainstorming, outlining, drafting, revising, and editing, to create well-structured and polished compositions. They will gain a deep understanding of the writing process and develop strategies for effective self-expression. Emphasis will be placed on developing a strong command of grammar, punctuation, vocabulary, and sentence structure, enabling students to convey their ideas clearly and coherently.
Want More Information?
If you're interested in hearing more about what I can do for you or your child, please contact me to setup a free 30 minute introductory session where we can meet and I can answer all of your questions.
With over a decade of experience teaching Latin, classical studies, and philosophy, I have worked with many incredible teachers and helped students of all levels deepen their understanding and appreciation for these timeless disciplines. Here are a few testimonials from teachers and administrators.
Foreign Language Teacher
Having worked alongside Andrew Eubanks for ten years, I can confidently say he is an exceptional educator with a deep knowledge of Latin and classical studies. His dedication to student success and engaging style make him a fantastic teacher. The students love his class!
As a principal, I have witnessed firsthand the remarkable teaching skills and passion for education that Andrew Eubanks possesses. His warm demeanor sets students at ease and fosters a positive and productive learning environment. He is well equipped to provide a valuable educational experience for students young and old alike.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are a few questions that I frequently get from students and parents. If you have more questions please feel free to ask using the contact form below.
What are your qualifications?
I have over a decade of experience teaching Latin, classical studies, and philosophy in private schools in San Antonio and Austin. I also taught students at the University of the Incarnate Word. Many of my courses have been online and I am quite comfortable using this platform. I am a graduate of Hendrix College with a degree in History and Religion and I obtained my Masters of Divinity from Southern Methodist University.
What are the benefits of taking Latin and classical studies?
Studying Latin and classical studies can offer a wide range of benefits, including:
- Improved language skills: Learning Latin can help improve vocabulary, grammar, and syntax, which can also enhance the understanding of other languages such as English, French, Spanish, Italian, and Portuguese.
- Enhancing critical thinking: The study of classical literature, history, and culture can develop critical thinking skills by analyzing texts and understanding different perspectives and arguments. This is a skill that is useful in almost all careers.
- Appreciating history and culture: Classical studies can help students understand the origins of Western civilization and appreciate the cultural achievements of ancient Greece and Rome.
- Developing a global perspective: The study of classical literature and history can provide a global perspective on politics, culture, and society.
- Building research and writing skills: Classical studies often require extensive research and writing, which can help improve these skills.
- Preparing for careers in law, medicine, and academia: Knowledge of Latin can be valuable for those pursuing careers in law, medicine, and academia, as these professions continue to use Latin terminology today.
Overall, studying Latin and classical studies can provide a strong foundation for academic and personal growth, as well as enhance one's understanding of language, culture, and history.
Who should take Latin and classical studies?
Anyone can benefit from studying Latin and classical studies, regardless of their background or career aspirations. However, here are some groups of people who may particularly benefit from taking Latin and classical studies courses:
- Students interested in pursuing a career in law, medicine, or academia: Latin is the basis of many technical and legal terms used in English, and understanding Latin can be particularly helpful for students pursuing careers in these fields.
- Students interested in history or anthropology: Classical studies can provide a deeper understanding of ancient civilizations, their customs, and their contributions to modern society.
- Students interested in language and linguistics: Studying Latin can help you develop a better understanding of grammar and syntax, which can be applied to other languages as well.
- Students interested in literature and the humanities: Classical studies can provide a wealth of knowledge about the great works of ancient literature, including epic poetry, drama, and philosophy.
Individuals looking to broaden their cultural horizons: Studying Latin and classical studies can provide a deeper understanding of the roots of Western culture, and can broaden one's perspective on the world.
What should I expect with these online sessions?
Here are some general things you can expect:
- Customized instruction: Working in individual and/or small group settings I am able to tailor my instruction to meet the needs of each student. I can help with specific homework assignments, clarify concepts, or provide more in-depth instruction on a particular topic.
- Interactive learning: I am an interactive individual and will engage the student in conversation and discussion. I do this in order to help the student better understand the material and apply it to their studies and beyond.
- Use of technology: I have a plethora of technological tools at my disposal. I use the tools to enhance the learning experience, such as online whiteboards, video conferencing, and screen sharing.
- Feedback and assessment: I will provide feedback and assess the student's progress, helping them to identify areas where they need to improve and providing guidance on how to do so.
- Flexible scheduling: Online tutoring sessions can often be scheduled at a time that is convenient for the student, which can be particularly helpful for students with busy schedules.
Overall, online Latin and classical studies tutoring sessions can provide personalized instruction and support to help students achieve their academic goals.
How long are the sessions?
A typical session is 50 minutes. However, we can work out longer or shorter sessions based on your needs.
How many sessions a week should I take?
I recommend 1 to 2 sessions a week, but we can discuss how many sessions are right for you.
How much does it cost?
Please contact me directly to discuss rates. There is a discount for group students. The first two sessions will be given for the price of one.
Contact me today to schedule a free session, setup your first lesson or just to get more information about Ancient Minds Tutoring.